Friday, June 21, 2013

1 Litre Of Tears

"On the shore of sadness, there is something called a SMILE."


When we know that we’re nearing our end, what do we do? Do we just sit back and wallow in self pity? That’s not what Aya (Erika Sawajiri) did. She fought for her life and her right to live. She was only 15, with great athletic prowess and intelligence only to wake up one day and realize that her life is over. She had Spino Cerebellar Degeneration a rare disease where the cerebellum of the brain gradually deteriorates to the point where the victim cannot walk, speak, write, or eat. It’s a cruel disease since it does not affect the mind thus, you retain all your mental ability making the disease a prison. Though her future seemed hazy, she knows that there’s still a reason for her dream. It wasn’t easy but she had the support and love of her family, the understanding of her friends and the love of Asou-kun (Ryō Nishikido).

It’s true that at your lowest point then you’ll know who your real friends are and those who truly loves you. Aya’s family showered her with unconditional love and encouragement and there was Asou-kun. He was her accidental friend who turned out to be that one true friend who would stand by her until her last breath. Despite being warned by his father to stay away from Aya, he went out of his way just to be beside her, to guide her and help her live. He didn’t just give her understanding and concern, he showed her and made her feel love.

Aya may have lived a short life but it was a meaningful one. It may not be the sweetest but it was a life worth fighting for and worth living for at its fullest. Most importantly, she didn’t die a meaningless death since her published 1 Litre Of Tears diary (A diary that she started when she first learned about her disease up to her dying days) has brought strength and inspiration to every family and victim of spinocerebellar degeneration.

A thousand litres of tears were shed while watching this 11 episodes Japanese series. One of the most heartbreaking story I ever watched that made me cry from start to finish. I have always challenged death, especially during my adolescent years, yes I have. But now, I have feared it more than anything else in this world. Now that I have a daughter my fear is for her, losing her. And that is what this movie is all about.

This drama has made a big impact on me aside from it being based on a real story but most importantly because I am a mother. I couldn’t fathom the pain for a parent to watch her daughter slowly being taken away from her by an incurable degenerative disease? How painful would it be for a parent to watch her very own daughter suffer and not being able to do anything? My heart broke when Aya asked her mother, “Okaasan, why did this disease choose me, I’m only 15. This is impossible. It’s too cruel. God is so unfair?” And tears started flowing when the only answer her mother can give was, “I’m sorry if I can’t take your pain away.”

Pictures and Quotes from the movie:

“You’ve always encouraged me. You’ve listened to everything I couldn’t tell anyone else. When I was down, you made me laugh. You were always near me. Whenever I was in pain, you were always with me. Arigatou Asou-kun.” – Aya
“What’s wrong with falling down? You can always stand up again. If you look up at the sky after falling down, the blue sky is also today stretching limitless and smiles at me… I’m alive.” – Aya
“It’s painful when I’m with you, wanting to do this and that. When I’m with you, I keep dreaming a dream that would never come true…” – Aya
“Live on. Live on forever.” – Aya
“Even though I have been hurt before by those heartless glares this also helped me to understand that around me, there still exist some gentle glares. Therefore, I definitely won't run away. That's what I'll do. Definitely. Always.”    -Aya
“People shouldn’t dwell on the past. It’s enough to try your best in all that you’re doing now.” – Aya


 "Why did the disease choose me? I cannot carry it, if it’s just for the word “fate”. -Aya
“I really don’t want to say things such as “I want to go back as how things were before”. I recognize how I am right now, and I will continue to live on.” - Aya
“I want to accept the me right now. And live on. Although I will always be hurt by those heartless glances, but also at the same time I understand that gentle glances exist. Even though it’s like this I still want to be here. Because here is, the place that I exist. What’s wrong with falling down? Because as long as I stand back up again it’ll be just fine. If you look up at the sky after falling down. The blue sky is also today, stretching timelessly and smiles at me. People shouldn’t dwell on the past. It’s enough to try your best for all that your doing now. Mother, will I…. be able to get married? Thank you.” – Aya

I would rate this 10 of 10! The best drama I have ever watched.

1 comment:

  1. This drama series always gives me the goosebumps. It is the sole example of that love is blind and it does not just care about looks, (ref : Aya and Asou).
    It broke my heart into a million pieces when Aya asked her parents and doctor if she could get married. T_T ... the sad part was when everyone hesitated to answer her ...
    This is a perfect example of the human condition.
    Awesome series, awesome eye opener, and yes... if there is a cold hearted person out there, watching this would melt their hearts too.

    ReplyDelete