Saturday, June 29, 2013

Koizora (Sky Of Love) : A Movie Review


“If I had not met you that day, then I would not have experience that pain and sadness and memories filled with tears. But if I had not met you, I would also not have experienced that joy, excitement and memories filled with tears. But if I had not met you, I would also have not experienced that joy, excitement, preciousness, happiness and the feeling of absolute happiness.”

Title: Koizora: Sky of Love
Also known as:  恋空
Genre: Drama, Romance
Language : Japanese
Complete: 2008 

Mika (Yui Aragaki) and Hiro (Haruma Miura) first met during their freshmen years. It was an unlikely encounter as Hiro happened to be that mysterious guy who found Mika‘s phone after she lost it. Every day she gets a phone call from him. At first she was hesitant to talk to the total stranger on the other line until she became interested with him and agreed to meet up.  She was stunned to find out that her secret phone friend is the scary looking, silver haired guy named Hiro.

The two suddenly became a couple despite all their differences. Then Mika experienced her first love, her first kiss and her first heartbreak. One tragedy after another over a series of years and it will be true love that will bring them back together again.
 
"If the person likes you, they will definitely call you."
"My first love is like a river, it rolled way just like that."
"A rainbow, this is my birthday gift to you."
Mika : "Were you truly happy?" Hiro: "I am very happy."

Okay, I cried another bucket of tears. Guess it right… I’m just extremely melodramatic and when it comes to stories like this, it just hit me straight to the heart. I easily relate to it which makes the movie a lot interesting for me to watch. Although, I admitted I was kinda dumbfounded at the start of the movie since I was thinking, freshmen year and they’re already doing that thing? Oh my, this is going somewhere and indeed it did.

Sky of Love may come as your typical love story wherein we’ll have a couple who would go through the odds and fall in love and once their relationship is close to perfection, they break up, then someone has to die in the end. However, right before the movie ended it made me think, what would make this movie different from the other romantic movies that I have watched? What would make this stand out? Could it be the actors? Could it be the location? Could it be the story itself? And I know that what made this movie unique is its consistency. It’s consistency from the title, to the evolution of the story right down to the ending. The plot may be common and the ending predictable however, the storyline was well composed and each scene was interesting enough that you’ll definitely have your eyes glue on the television set. Overly fast paced however, this gives you a total package of emotions from that feeling of enjoying your first love, first heartbreak, the tears, the happiness, excitement, frustrations and hope.

I just love the director of this movie, Natsuki Imai, and his artistic means of using symbolism and metaphors. Comparison of human traits and love to that of the sky, the river and the sea was remarkable. The cinematography was pretty awesome in this movie as well. It was very articulate especially the use of the two white doves flying to the sky towards the end of the movie was deeply moving, heartbreaking however it gives that much needed hope and reason for living.

The lead casts did a pretty great job as well. I love the contrast in character between Hiro (Haruma Miura) and Mika (Yui Aragaki). Mika is this lovely, charismatic lady paired with Hiro the fierce, rebellious young man who surprisingly has a strong heart. Both had a strong connection with each other and their chemistry is what draws me to fall in love with this movie. They were very much convincing in their roles and were able to show this overwhelming love towards each other that it’s saddening and heart warming all at the same time.

I would rate this 9 of 10!


No comments:

Post a Comment