Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wedding Dress : A Movie Review


Wedding Dress
Title: Wedding Dress
Also known as: 웨딩드레스 
Genre: Drama
Language: Korean
Complete: 2010

Go-eun (Song Yun-ah) is a wedding dress designer and single mom to her daughter Sora (Kim Hyang-Gi). Despite her busy schedule she makes sure that she finds time for daughter. Sora on the other hand, often times misinterprets her mom’s busy schedule and feels that she’s taken her for granted thus, she learned independence at an early age. However, this independence didn’t do her well since she also grew distance from the people that surrounds her including her friends in school.

Upon realizing that she has limited number of days to live, Go-Eun tried to change her routine and made sure that she spends more time with Sora. She even has to lie to Sora’s teacher so she can take the day off and they can spend time in the beach. Go-Eun just wants to do everything for Sora before parting from her including making a beautiful wedding dress that she can wear once she gets married. As her condition worsens, So-ra finds out about the cancer and in her own little way tries to fulfill her mother’s wishes.


Being a single mother is not easy and I should know coz’ I am one. I was deeply moved by this movie not just because I can relate to it being a single mom, but because the movie was really nice and heartbreaking.

I should say Kim Hyang-Gi who played Sora was well casted. She was just adorable, fierce and her acting skills at a very young age was commendable in this movie. I first saw her in Cruel Love playing the character of the cute and lovely Mi-So and she was pretty young then and this movie brought her to the next level. I even felt that she has stolen the limelight in most of her scenes with Go-eun (Song Yun-ah). She sure is the one who made me cry especially the part when she was leaving for school and slowly trying to walk out of her house leaving her mom vomiting in the bathroom. She was walking out trying to hold back her tears, trying to be strong for her mom but when she closed the door tears just fell from her eyes. You can just see and feel that pain… it was extremely heartbreaking for me and yes I cried with her.  

 
This movie was well casted and just like what I mentioned the two lead casts did a good job in bringing me into tears. The storyline was well composed and you can see the obvious shift of the mother’s priority from work then to her daughter upon realizing that she was sick, however you would feel that there is something missing along the way. What’s missing is that big blow, something that you can grab a hold of… that climax! That just wasn’t there. Or maybe I was just expecting a lot from this movie based on the synopsis that I’ve read. It seemed like it would want it’s viewers to guess how and why things happened. There was just no explanation that would have nailed the present situation. Another disappointing thing about this movie is there was not much emphasis on the title being the Wedding Dress. Aside from the fact that she is a wedding dress designer and she was trying to create a wedding for her daughter that she can wear in future and that was it. It’s like creating a very ear catching theme and brushing it off in the sideline. And there was the yellow umbrella that I think would rather leave a lasting mark to its viewers rather than the title.



Nonetheless, I still love this movie and this brought me to tears.

I would rate this 8.5 out of 10!




1 comment:

  1. When I was looking for a location to watch high-quality films for free, I discovered this wonderful site. https://cinemahdv2.net/reviews-movie-on-cinema-hd/

    ReplyDelete